Club History

The name “Murrumbeena” derives from the Aboriginal word “mirambeena”. Affectionately interpreted as meaning “land of frogs”, the name was officially adopted by the Suburb when the railway station opened in 1879.

The Murrumbeena Football Club was established in 1918. In the 1990’s the Senior & Junior Football Club’s separated, the Senior Club unofficially known as the Lions and the Junior Club adopting the Griffin as its official logo. To this date, both Clubs are commonly known as ‘Beena’.

In the mid 80’s , MJFC and Murrumbeena Districts JFC merged due to falling participation rates. It was not until 1995 that the Club was officially crowned as Murrumbeena Junior Football Club. It is the same club that still stands proud and strong today.

MJFC Club Logo narrative – ‘As a fabulous animal of mythology, the Griffin embodies both an eagle and a lion, in other words domination both in the airspace and on the ground. The Golden Griffin is the symbol of both strength and rapidity. Whilst the wings of the eagle may be invisible on the modern version of our emblem, it is in fact these wings that enable our club to soar above other.’

Recognising early age participation as the lifeblood of the Club, we proudly draw on the local community for our Auskick and SMJFL Players. The Club has built strong relationships with:

Murrumbeena Primary School

St Patricks Primary School

Hughesdale Primary School

MalvernValley Primary School

along with…

De La Salle

Caulfield Grammar

St Kevins College

Xavier College

McKinnon Secondary College

Other information

Club Newsletter     The Griffin
Club Jumper Colours        Maroon, Gold and Blue
Club Shorts Maroon (Home); White (Away)
Club Socks Maroon with gold top